Sunday, September 15, 2013

Sausage Hors de Oeuvre’s

I saw Trisha Yearwood make these Sausage bites on her Food Network show.  I followed her recipe, with one exception.  I added only 2 cups of Bisquick.  As I was combining the mixture I felt adding an additional cup would make them to doughy.  Trisha’s recipe called for 3 cups of Bisquick; I wanted these to be a meatier consistency, so I stopped at 2 cups.  These were a HIT at the party I took them to.  I served these warm with with two different dipping sauces.  See my recommendations at the end of the recipe.
 
Ingredients:
 
1 lb. Hot & Spicy bulk sausage
10 oz shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups Bisquick, added 1 cup at a time
Kosher Salt & Pepper
 
Directions:
 
Place sausage and cheese in mixing bowl.  Grind some fresh black topper into the bowl.  Begin mixing to combine.  Add 1 cup of baking mix at a time.  Mix until well blended.
 
Roll into bite sized meatballs.  Place on baking sheet.  375 for 20 – 25 minutes.  Test for doneness.
 
Remove to serving platter and sprinkle with kosher salt. 

Serve warm with the dipping sauce of your choice.  I used my bottled barbeque sauce and doctored it with a bit of dry mustard, brown sugar, Worchester sauce, and lemon juice.  I also made a combination of mayonnaise, stone ground mustard, ketchup, tabasco and Worchester.  I also added a tablespoon or two of milk to thin it so that it was more like a dipping sauce than a mayonnaise consistency.