Saturday, December 6, 2014

Roasted Fennel

I got the idea for this recipe from Jamie Oliver’s show.  I never thought that I liked fennel before – because I don’t like licorice.  But, I thought I’d give this a try and I LOVE IT!
 
Ingredients:
 
3 – 4 heads fennel  
1 clove garlic, finely sliced  
2 tablespoons butter
Drizzled Olive Oil  
4 oz. dry white wine
Salt & freshly ground black pepper 
 
 
Directions:
 
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
 
Remove any discolored parts of the fennel, and then cut the tops, reserving the leaves.
 
I normally slice each fennel from the top to the root, into about 4 pieces – quartered.  You can slice them finer and more delicately if you like.
 
Throw all the ingredients except the reserved leaves into foil – loosely making a packet.  However, don’t completely close it - top off a piece of parchment paper, run it under cold water and scrunch it up to make it soft.  Then place it snugly over and around the fennel, on the inside of the foil packet.   This bakes and steams the fennel at the same time--basically making it really tasty!
 
Cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until tender.
 
Scatter with the fennel leaves before serving.