Sunday, August 25, 2013

Summer Shrimp Salad

This is inspired from one of my Cooking Light cookbook recipes.  I wanted to take it for lunch at work one day – so I made it the night before, but didn’t add any dressing until the next day at lunch.  It was still very fresh and delicious – even though it had been made so long in advance.  The flavors meld together really well and the combination of the corn, shrimp, squash and tomatoes is fabulous.  (This recipe serves two.)
 
Ingredients:
 
8 oz. medium shrimp, deveined cooked and peeled.  (I use already cooked, tail off shrimp purchased from either Trader Joes or Costco)
½ of a yellow squash, julienned
½ of a large zucchini, julienned
¾ cup heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved (If you can’t find heirloom, regular cherry tomatoes will work just fine.)
½ cup corn kernels (you can use fresh, however I used the steam in bag frozen corn)
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro (or if you prefer – fresh basil)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Balsamic Vinegar Dressing of your choice (I used Paul Newman’s)
 
Directions:
 
Toss everything together – except the dressing.  Toss with the dressing of your choice when ready to serve.