Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cajun Bloody Mary


We recently had brunch at the Screen Door restaurant in Portland – home of the famous waffles and fried chicken.  Everything we had was AMAZING, including the Bloody Mary’s.  I liked those because they had horseradish in them and it really added a wonderful kick to the cocktail without the spicy heat that my other Bloody Mary recipe has.  So, when I came home I ventured to the internet to find recipes that would duplicate our brunch experience.  This is one of Emeril Lagasse’s creations.  I didn’t “change” the recipe per se.  I did double the ingredients so that I could use an entire large can of tomato juice.  And, I substituted green olives instead of the okra.  But, other than that – I stayed true to Chef Lagasse’s creation.  Enjoy!

 
Ingredients:

 
3 cups tomato juice
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce, or to taste
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste (recommended: Tabasco)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Premium vodka


Garnish:

Small jar pickled green beans
Small jar pickled okra (I used green olives instead of the okra)

 
Directions:


In a blender combine the tomato juice, lemon juice, lime juice, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and hot sauce and process until smooth. Transfer to a nonreactive container and add salt and black pepper, to taste. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours and up to overnight.

 
When ready to serve, fill each glass with ice. (Before filling with ice - I ran a lime wedge around the rim of the glass and then dipped the rim in a bit of seasoning salt.)


Add 1 ounce of vodka to each glass, and then fill the glass with the Bloody Mary mix. Stir well, and garnish each glass with the green beans and okra (or green olive).