Saturday, September 22, 2012

Italian Meatballs


I love meatballs.  Of course I enjoy them prepared traditionally as in "spaghetti and meatballs", but these are baked and so delicious to eat as a snack.  I like that the outside gets so crisp and browned.  Spectacular!

Ingredients:

1 lb. lean ground beef (I used 93% lean because I knew I would be adding fat back in with the ground pork and Italian sausage)
½ lb. ground pork
½ lb. Mild Italian Sausage  (You could use the hot sausage if you prefer a spicier meatball)
2 eggs
¾ cup Italian bread crumbs (I use Progresso Italian Seasoned)
¼ cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
4 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
¼ cup chopped white onion
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix the meats together in a large bowl.

Add the remaining ingredients in a blender.  Blend until thoroughly combined to make a slurry.  This allows the flavors to be thoroughly combined in each meatball.  I start with already minced or crushed garlic to avoid the possibility that the mixer may leave large chunks of garlic.  Pour the liquid mixture into the meat.    Mix thoroughly.

Form into large meatballs, approx 2” and place on two baking sheets.  I like to line my baking sheets with foil to make clean-up easier.

Bake at 375 for 40 – 45 minutes.  Start checking them after 30 – 35 minutes to avoid burning and sticking to the foil. 

Serve “as is” for a delicious snack - or add to your favorite sauce to make Spaghetti and Meatballs.