Sunday, April 8, 2012

Beef Carnitas

I had never made carnitas before and assumed that it would be an incredible amount of work. I was wrong. These were remarkably easy to make and absolutely delicious. The only thing I would change is that I would double the recipe so we would have more leftovers! My son devoured them, as did my husband and me! I got the recipe from Cooking Light. I only altered it slightly by replacing Olive Oil for the cooking spray and used an entire white onion rather than the one cup of non descript onion the recipe called for. Serve the carnitas with warm flour tortillas, some fresh cilantro, salsa, onion and lime. I think your mouth will be VERY happy!

Ingredients:

Olive Oil
1 white onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 pounds beef stew meat, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup less-sodium beef broth
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 large unpeeled orange wedge

Directions:

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Drizzle olive oil into the pot.

Add onion; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add beef; sauté 5 minutes or until beef is browned on all sides.

Stir in broth, sugar, salt, and pepper; nestle orange section into beef mixture. Bring to a boil.

Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Remove and discard orange.

Continue simmering, uncovered, 8 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring frequently.