Saturday, February 4, 2012

Vegan Cuban Black Beans and Rice

While I’m not vegan – or gluten free – I have four dear friends who are. They recently made their respective switches due to health reasons and have been enjoying experimenting with various recipes. Two of these friends were at my home for a dinner recently, and I wanted the main course to be able to serve them both. So, this is what I came up with. I have to say I wasn’t thrilled at the prospect of making beans without meat of some sort – or without chicken broth… I just didn’t think they would be that tasty. BOY! Was I SURPRISED! These were outstanding – and I’m pretty sure they will be making returning guest appearances to my dinner table, even when it is just for my family and me.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ white onions, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped

2 – 15oz cans black beans, drained but not rinsed
2 – 14oz cans diced tomatoes, including liquid
2 tablespoons oregano
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 cup vegetable broth, plus a little extra if beans begin to dry out

Cooked White Rice

Directions:

Drizzle the olive oil in pot; sauté onions, peppers, jalapeno and garlic until onions are translucent.

Add the beans and tomatoes to the onion mixture. Stir to combine. Add spices and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat, cover and cook for 1 ½ - 2 hours. Check liquid level frequently so that the beans don’t burn.

Taste for seasonings. Add salt, oregano and cumin as needed.

Note: Since you will serve over white rice you want the beans to have enough liquid that the rice will soak the liquid up – but you don’t want the beans to be so soupy that the liquid runs all over your plate.