Sunday, February 19, 2012

Garlic Chicken

I love trying new dishes and am extremely interested in international cuisine. Being part Spanish I’m surprised that I don’t have more Spanish dishes in my repertoire. I felt it was time to remedy this! Here is the first of three recipes that I will be adding in the coming days. I served this chicken for dinner, along with Patatas Bravas and Spinach with Pine Nuts and Raisins. The entire meal was spectacular. Each dish will definitely be making return appearances to our dinner table. Even the kidlet enjoyed everything. Well, he wouldn’t try the spinach – but that’s OK!

Ingredients:

8 chicken thighs, boned & skinned and cut into 2 pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Paprika
Salt

1/3 cup brandy
½ cup chicken broth

3 cloves garlic
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley

Optional:
Cornstarch
Additional brandy or chicken broth

Parsley for garnish

Directions:

Sprinkle salt and paprika over both sides of chicken pieces.

Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil into non stick skillet – cook ½ the chicken 2 minutes per side. Remove to plate. Repeat with other tablespoon olive oil and remaining chicken pieces.

Pour brandy and chicken broth into pan to deglaze. Return chicken and juices to the pan. Cover and cook for 10minutes.

Finely mince the garlic and parsley together. Use a fork to further mash the garlic. Add to pan and cook for an additional 10 minutes.

Optional: I wanted the sauce to be thicker, although I believe traditionally this a more of a “soupy” sauce. So, I mixed about 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and some additional brandy in a small bowl. I removed the chicken from the pan and placed on a serving plate. Then, I poured the cornstarch mixture into the juices to make more of a gravy consistency. Now, spoon the gravy over the top of the chicken.

Sprinkle chopped parsley over the top as garnish.