Sunday, October 17, 2010

Lentil Salad

I based this salad off Richard Simmons’ “Yentl Lentil Salad”. I pretty much used the same ingredients (except I excluded the bell pepper, which you could add if you so desire) but I changed the measurements. I served this for dinner with pan fried boneless skinless chicken breasts. Tasty, AND healthy.

Ingredients:

3 cups cooked lentils, rinsed and drained (I followed the package directions to boil them for about 15 – 20 minutes. You don’t want them to be too soft, so check on them often.)
¼ of a medium red onion, finely chopped
3- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
¾ - 1 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 – 15 oz can diced tomatoes
¼ cup lemon juice
1 tsp cumin powder
¼ tsp garlic powder
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large bowl combine the lentils, onion, celery, tomatoes, parsley, cumin powder and garlic powder. Drizzle olive oil over all and toss. Pour lemon juice over all and stir to combine. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; mix to combine well.

Let stand for about 10 – 15 minutes. Toss one more time before serving.