Sunday, January 24, 2010

Quinoa - Mediterranean Style

So, here’s my first attempt at making Quinoa. I decided to keep it simple, because we had not eaten quinoa before. I didn’t want to disguise the flavor of it with a lot of spices and added ingredients. So, I just added some olive oil, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper. At the last minute, on a whim, I chopped a bit of cilantro and added that as well. I’m really pleased with how this turned out. I’m definitely going to make quinoa again, and I’ll probably get a little more adventurous with adding other ingredients the next time.

Ingredients:

1 c. uncooked quinoa
1 c. chicken broth
1 c. water
1 lemon, zested and juiced
Olive oil
Salt & Pepper
If desired – chopped cilantro, or perhaps flat leaf parsley

Directions:

Thoroughly rinse quinoa in cold water. I used one of my fine meshed sieves to run the water through without losing any of the grain. Drain thoroughly twice before cooking.

Note: Don’t add salt to quinoa until it has cooked fully (the grain will not open completely if you do so).

Bring the water & chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan that has a lid. Add the quinoa and bring back to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes. Quinoa is done when soft and translucent and the
quinoa’s spiral-shaped germ ring has separated.

Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Add the lemon juice and lemon zest. Lightly drizzle olive oil over the quinoa. Salt & Pepper to taste. If desired, add cilantro or parsley.